We know our fellow Humagalas love great food just as much as contributing to a great cause! And we have another great cause this November. We have partnered with The Arc to help raise some funds and to help spread the word about all the amazing work they do.
Our team has worked hard to come up with a Burger and Pizza that was a great fit for the month! It was a lot of taste testing and sampling – but hey we are here to do the tough jobs so you reap all the rewards! As a reminder, 25% of the proceeds will go to support The ARC, but if you want to give even more to help this great organization just ask your server to add an additional donation to your check, 100% of the additional donation goes to The Arc.
Let us introduce the specials!
Our Burger of the Month is called “The Feast” and rightly so. We blend ground turkey with rosemary and garlic, top it with house fries, caramelized onions and gravy (yes we said gravy) all served on a House Bun with cranberry relish on the side!
Our November pizza is just as delicious and befitting the season. We call it our “Fall Harvest” Pizza. We start with our delicious crust and add roasted garlic brie topped with butternut squash, cranberry & arugula salad, and goat cheese.
And because we never seem to be able to get enough Pumpkin Spice and everyone seems to be loving the shake, we are keeping the Pumpkin Spice Shake for one more month. Seriously, you guys are obsessed!
All this deliciousness will only be here for November (yes even the Shake).
A word or two about The ARC…
For over 64 years, The Arc Northern Chesapeake Region (The Arc NCR) has helped people with intellectual and developmental disabilities to live, work and play in Harford and Cecil Counties. The organization currently supports over 345 individuals and provides the following services:
- Provides individuals a home in the community where they receive supports from staff when needed. Individuals live independently or with roommates in apartments, townhomes or single-family homes.
SUPPORTED EMPLOYMENT & TRAINING
- The Arc NCR focuses on recruiting companies to hire supported individuals, provides job coaching and training on site and transportation to and from work. There are over 90 employers in over 12 industries in Harford County that hire people supported by The Arc NCR.
- Also, provides training to individuals currently seeking employment or who are underemployed. Individuals are trained in soft skills, including professionalism, business etiquette and communications. In addition, hard skills training is provided on site at several local businesses which has included learning opportunities in the hospitality, retail and nonprofit industries.
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT ACTIVITIES
- Assists those who are semi-retired or between jobs to participate in a variety of activities such as part-time employment, taking classes, exercising at an athletic club, or pursuing volunteerism
- The Arc NCR works to promote equal rights for all people, educates the community about issues affecting people with disabilities, and promotes inclusive social and recreational activities for people with disabilities.
FAMILY SUPPORT SERVICES
- Designed to provide support to families of children with differing abilities living in the community. The program provides advocacy in obtaining and maneuvering community resources, resource information and referral, and assistance locating funding resources.
TREATMENT FOSTER CARE
- Provides safe, supportive homes for children with disabilities or behavioral diagnoses through foster care families.
A Few ARC Success Stories
Brothers Matthew and Maurice originally received transitioning youth services from The Arc NCR and are now a part of our Supported Employment and Supported Living services. This past year, they needed help maintaining their family’s independence. The Arc NCR’s case managers discovered the brothers and their mother had become homeless, and were in need of not only a safe home, but warm clothing, food and financial management. Mom was not eligible for residential funding, and the brothers did not want to split their family apart. With The Arc NCR’s help, the family was able to find an affordable home through Supported Living in close proximity to their church, public transportation and employment. Best of all, they can live happily together as a family!
Terry came to The Arc Northern Chesapeake Region’s Supported Living program in 2016. Sadly, Terry was unable to live independently and therefore, moved in to a safe, supportive home at The Arc NCR. Since joining the agency, Terry has flourished in to a happy and independent woman. One of the first goals Terry had was to become employed as she had previously been working in a workshop environment making below minimum wage. She is now gainfully employed at Plastipak and loves her new position! Terry is also making friends, learning new life skills and really enjoys her new life here at The Arc NCR. She finally feels comfortable voicing how she feels and believes she is finally being heard. Terry is a strong woman who is now able to live an independent meaningful life.
To get involved with The Arc NCR through volunteering, employment, foster care or to donate, please visit www.arcncr.org or call 410-836-7177.